Thursday, April 23, 2015

“To My Dear and Loving Husband” #5

If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were loved by wife, then thee.
If ever wife was happy in a man,
Compare with me, ye women, if you can.
prize thy love more than whole mines of gold,
Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
Nor ought but love from thee give recompense.
Thy love is such I can no way repay;
The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.
Then while we live, in love let’s so persever,
That when we live no more, we may live ever.

This poem is about love and the strong love a wife has for her husband. It was actually so beautiful when I first read it. The beginning was interesting in a sense where the wife confesses her love and how lucky she is to have a husband like hers. What I found creative about this poem was the amount of confidence the wife had while talking about the love her husband had for her. When reading the poem it almost made you envy the wife for having such a wonderful husband. In the poem when it said "My love is such that rivers cannot quench" I thought of how strong the love of this couple must be. The fact that her emotions are so alive as well as his is so unique. At first when I read the poem I thought about how it must feel to be so in love and how in our generation love is lost so it's weird to see a male so captivated by his wife. Also obsession crossed my mind because we never get to hear what her husband says, only what she tells us about him. So my essential thought was that she wanted to make her husband seem in love because he probably didn't act it so she created a sort of persona for him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment