Sunday, April 12, 2015

In The Waiting Room by Elizabeth Bishop #3

This poem confused me,  the way the narrator talked seemed to be present day or at least a casual day.  When reading it the first time I thought of a child at an appointment with their aunt. I felt a shift in the poem when it said that it was dark and everyone was old. I think that made the environment change throughout the entire poem. The narrator seems to be invested in the National Geographics magazine and describes to us exactly what she see's in it. We know that the images inside of the magazine bother the narrator but what catches her attention is the yelp of her aunts. The lack of surprise was interesting because it seems that both have a close relationship. I don't think I got the concept of this poem but I feel as though when I read it the second time around I thought of the narrator being thrown into the future while going to the appointment or maybe even the past because at the end of the poem the narrator realizes that they are not at the dentists but in the middle of war. The author did a great job at giving the reader false hope regarding the location. The plot just changed so quickly at the end. I didn't see the end coming at all. The poem did a good job at giving the reader a visual of everything that the narrator was experiencing. But I'm still a bit confused after reading it for the third time!

No comments:

Post a Comment